Sunday, August 29, 2010

Burnout

I was going to share the story of my visit to Plamondon, Alberta, but I realised that what got me there would make an worthwhile introduction.  It was the spring of 1994, and I was well and truly burned out from selling encyclopedias.

You see, I had been living in Ontario and had attended a major University there from 1990 until 1992, when I got kicked out (grades).  One thing led to another, and I found myself unemployed and directionless in Vancouver, which led to my stint as a travelling door to door encyclopedia salesman.  After a few ups and downs (more downs) over the months that followed, I had an epiphany during what would turn out to me my second-to-last road trip that I was ready to go back to University and not mess it up this time.

I liked being in Vancouver, so when we got home, I applied to UBC, and then set out for the road again with a lighter heart.  I felt like I was back on track for the first time in years.

My good mood lasted about 2 weeks, until I called home from the middle of nowhere in Alberta, and my Mom gave me the bad news that UBC had sent me a rejection letter, saying that it was against their policy to accept any students who were on academic probation at another University.

I was crushed.  My perfectly reasonable and practical plan to get my life in order had been derailed, and I was rootless again.  (Pardon the mixed metaphor.)  I wasn't sure yet what exactly I needed to fix my life, but one thing was certain: when this road trip was over, I was finished with being a travelling door to door encyclopedia salesman.  When I met up with the rest of my crew that evening, they were all very sympathetic and supportive and took me out for a few drinks.

Before we could get home, however, and let me move on to the next stage of my life (which turned out to be moving back to Ontario and returning to my old University, graduating with Honours in 1997), there was one more stop to make on our road trip.  The next day, we rolled into Plamondon, Alberta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A couple of important points if you wish to comment:

1. The names have been changed to protect the innocent (and the guilty). If you know me or any of the people I write about, please don't mention their real names in your replies.

2. While the content of this blog isn't necessarily "child-friendly," I also do not want it to descend into wanton crudeness or abusiveness. A general rule of thumb might be "PG-13". Of course, I will be the final arbiter of what constitutes appropriate content, and may delete any comments at my sole discretion.